Wednesday, February 29, 2012

C is for Choice (of Words)

At some point, the whole "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all" thing when out the window when it came to pregnant women. I don't know what it is about seeing a pregnant woman that gives others mouth vomit, but, boy, does it. Some of the choice things I heard was:

  • Are you sure it's not twins? (Even after I had an ultrasound showing one baby)
  • Turn around... yup, it's a girl, your ass got huge (It was a boy and my ass was always huge)
  •  If you're this big now, wait until the end of your pregnancy (I was incredibly lucky and only gained 18 lbs.)
  •  Are you tired? You look tired. (You might as well tell me "you look like shit!") 
  •  You can't eat! You can't drink that! I hope you are exercising! (Thanks, Coach!)

You get the idea. And I'm sure there is other horrible stuff people said to me.  Now, every girl knows she will gain weight when she gets pregnant. But, when it's your first time, you have no idea how your body is going to respond to the pregnancy. Add that plus the additional hormones raging through ones body and you have the reason why women are crazy during pregnancy.

So, please, do everyone a favor. When you see a visibly pregnant woman (don't try guessing - make sure you are positive!) tell her "Congratulations!" or "You are certainly glowing!" or ---- nothing.

Believe me, silence is golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment